Headaches - THEY ARE FIXABLE and can be treated!!!
Regardless of whether you have a tension headache, migraine or any other variant, the causes can be very similar as are the treatments and ways to fix them. With food and hydration, take your time and really look at your day to day intake and journal it if you really want to get to the root cause and fix it
- Sugar Intake --> Lower it!
- This is one of the simplest and easiest ways to help fight headaches. Try to minimize all your sugar intake throughout the day
- Processed Foods
- By far the easiest way to help. Foods that are processed even a little can act like an irritant to anyone who may have a sensitive stomach or digestive track
- Once food that irritates your body gets in it can manifest itself into a headache pretty easily
- Hydration: So important
- The rule is basically drinking 1/2 your body weight in ounces each day
- Adjust intake based on weather, humidity and your activity level
- Stress and Anxiety
- These are huge for most of us and what is worse is that all the things mentioned above are usually coping mechanisms for this situation and can lead to horrible chronic headaches
- Sleep deprivation to be more specific. Note that high stress and anxiety can lead to a lack of sleep, which will lead to poor food choices, which lead to a headache which can lead back to poor sleep and the cycle goes on and on and on
What to do?
- ICE pack on the base of the neck/skull -- off and on for about 2 hours depending on severity
- Adjust water intake
- Look at your food intake and take out as much sugar and processed foods as you can
- It is truly worth it to make a journal of food, hydration and sleeping patterns for a bit until you can get it under control.
- Supplements: While I don't believe they should replace nutritious food, sometimes we need a little help. So look to see what you may be missing nutritionally and supplement where appropriate.